Labor experts tell us that 8 out of 10 hiring professionals do some form of pre-employment background screening. Yet many medium and small businesses are still dependent on traditional methods of background screening, such as checking up on references. This article explores why many SMBs avoid professional employment background checks, and the risks and dangers of doing so.
Why Many SMBs Don’t Do Pre-Employment Background Screening
Lack of concern. Some SMB managers believe that only cops, teachers, and doctors should be subject to employee background checks. That point of view is outdated. Nowadays, many private companies are consistently performing pre-employment background screening, for the reasons listed in the second half of this article.
Lack of Internal Support and Expert Knowledge. Many SMB leaders assume that any professional background screening they do must be done in-house. The prospect of training an employee to carry out background checks is intimidating to most managers, especially since it could very well take a person months to research the best Checkthem background check procedures. However, partnering with pre-employment background screening outsourcing firms allows all companies quick, convenient access to these screenings.
Overestimation of Cost. Many SMB leaders hold a misconception about pre-employment background screening, namely that it’s exorbitantly expensive. If you’re open to the possibility of outsourcing your employment background checks, you can typically conduct this kind of screening for no more than $50 per job candidate.
Top 5 Reasons Why SMBs should Conduct Employment Background Checks
- Decreased Costs. You’ll find better job candidates if you conduct pre-employment background screenings. Improved hiring means that you’ll spend less money counteracting negative PR, lose less money to negligent hiring lawsuits, and see fewer employee-generated losses, such as embezzlement. Finally, it’s typically much less expensive to outsource professional background checks, rather than doing them in-house.
- Fewer legal trip-ups. Each state has its own law in place regarding negligent hiring. These laws are intended to protect the public by preventing dangerous individuals from being hired for delicate positions. As an example, many states’ alcohol laws require that employees have three years of felony-free history before they can be hired for a job that involves serving alcohol. Failing to check out candidates backgrounds through pre-employment background screening opens you to the risk of being sued or fined for failing to do your due diligence on new hires.
- Safer Employees. Human Resource gurus estimate that 1 out of 10 job applicants have a criminal history. If you don’t carry do professional background screenings, it’s more likely that you’ll hire a dangerous individual who could hurt your employees, your customers, and your business’ reputation.
- Accelerated hiring. The majority of professional background screening companies offer results in 48 hours. In this sense, outsourcing employee background checks can mean speedier hiring. In just a day or two, you can get the information you need to determine if that seemingly perfect candidate has any skeletons lurking in his or her closet.
- Discover dishonesty in applications. Here’s another scary HR statistic for you: researchers calculate that approximately 4 out of 10 resumes feature deceitful omissions, if not total lies. Employee background checks reveal such dishonesty so that you can avoid hiring mendacious individuals.
As we’ve seen, there are many reasons why owners of small and medium-sized businesses should arrange employee background checks.
Visit our website to read more about why SMBs don’t do pre-employment background screening and the top five reasons why they should. https://www.checkthem.com/blog/conducting-background-check/ provides accurate and affordable screening services, such as employment background checks, and they offer helpful tips and advice for making sure you conduct your professional background checks properly and thoroughly.Read More